Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Guest Blogger: Phaedra Weldon


The winner of Phaedra's book is: Daelith! Congrats, Daelith. Send me your snail mail info and I'll pass it along to Phaedra. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Walking Between the Worlds

So let’s talk about the Paranormal. Sounds easy, eh? Um . . . not so much. The Paranormal definition on my Mac’s Operating systems says, “denoting events or phenomena such as telekinesis or clairvoyance that are beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding.”

I write about ghosts, spectres, and astral walkers. How much beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding can you get? And what makes this subject so fascinating for me are the numerous testimonies of people who have felt as if they were out of body, had near death experiences, and seen ghosts!

How cool is that?

But before I get all hot and bothered about ghosts, let me express my absolute love of the Paranormal boom. I mean -- you did read that “stellar” definition above, right? How boring is that? The Paranormal is so much more -- something for everyone! It’s vampires, goblins, gargoyles, demons, ghosts, werewolves, were-cats, were-bats, trolls, ogres, ghosts, elves, witches, elementals, sorcerers, dragons -- and did I mention ghosts?

Ghost stories. Ghost legends. Ghost tours. Ghost Hunters -- yes I’m a fan. From as far back as I can remember the areas around my home town in South Georgia carried a variety of ghost legends. Mostly associated with the Civil War. From a lady in white that haunts a lone grave behind a tree on a rural road to a bridge where the screams of a dying woman can be heard only when traveling in one direction on the bridge.

I asked my grandmother once about the ghosts -- where did they come from? Did they see us the way we saw them? And would they always be there, never moving on? And her response always unnerved me.

“Honey -- the planes between the worlds are growing thinner by the day. Just as we see them on occasion, they see us. But what worries me are the things we can’t see.”

Yikes.

And thus was born a ten year old who slept with the light on and the covers pulled up that night.

What we can’t see? What did that mean? Were there things watching me and I couldn’t watch them? And how could I find them if I wanted to?

And don’t think I didn’t finally cough up the courage to ask my grandmother about just that.

“You have to go where they are,” she said. “You have to walk between the worlds.” Which I translated into something like -- if you want to understand a bee keeper and why he would purposefully stick his hand into a hive then you have to become the bee keeper.

And then I sort of thought from there that if you became like a ghost, or a spirit and immersed yourself into their existence then maybe they’d find a way to possess you and then you’d switch places and you’d be the ghost and the ghost would be you.

Yeah . . . and as Mr. Myagi said, “You too much TV.”

But from all this curiosity and fascination came the idea for an astral walking detective (though that term is a loose term for Zoë) named Zoë Martinique. Yeah I’d written the standard ghost story over the years -- unrequited love, ghost lovers, evil ghosts, loving ghosts -- and they were okay.

But taking that extra step like my grandmother threw at me -- now that was a bit harder. Because in truth -- we don’t really know what’s on that other side. Or how it’s built. Or why it really exists.

Taking the “what if” (that Oh Cool! You want to put into a proposal or book that makes an editor say, “Wow!”) and exploring the possibility -- however good, or bad it may be. I love writing about the different breakdowns of the after life, and making it like my grandmother said it was -- that the veils are thin and some things that shouldn’t cross over from the Abysmal side shouldn’t be in the living.

So take a journey with Zoë as she discovers what it’s like to walk between both worlds. No vampires. Or zombies. Elves or trolls or dwarves. Just the human condition, imagination, and fear.

Hehehehehe . . .

Any questions?

PHANTASM, the third book in the Zoë Martinique Investigation Series will be out in June of 2009. A Zoë prequel story -- spotlighting the paranomal investigation group SPRITE -- will be published in the DAW anthology Crime Spells to be released in February 2009.

Phaedra is giving away a copy of her book. Just leave a comment here, answering this question (winner will be selected Friday night and posted here):

If you were going to write about walking between the worlds, what would you come up with?

For more information about Phaedra's books, you can visit:

18 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have just recently gotten into reading paranormal books and I never thought that I would like them but I was way wrong. I am such a weinie when it comes to scary stuff, I use to be the kid that wouldnt get out of bed if I was scared I would just lay there and let my imagination run away and then finally start screaming. Guess Ive grown up because I love these books. I havent read yours but am definetly going to look into them, I really enjoyed reading your article.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I think it would be beyond cool to be able to move through each dimension without being seen, like a ghost! That would make the best spy! Hehe.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

By the way, I loved reading Wraith and can't wait to read Spectre! :)

7:54 AM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Dear Phaedra: Thanks so much for guest blogging at Paranormality today! Especially in light of the other things going on in your life at the moment. We appreciate you.
Hugs, Lynda

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be the lack of tea in me, but my brain is drawing a blank for this question. Arghh..
I'm a huge paranormal fan and will be adding your books to my wishlist. :) I also enjoyed the post.
I agree with Wendy too, it would be really cool to be able to move between each dimension without being seen. Only "materialising" or allowing yourself to be seen by others at your own discretion. That's like the ultimate "fly on the wall" super-power, lol.
I would love, love, love to be entered to win one of your books!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Night critter said...

The great thing with the paranormal is that anything is possible, no one can prove that your wrong. I love how authors interpret this subject and the little twists they come up with in regards to paranormal creatures.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Tanks Lynda. It's been a heck of a week. I'm glad people have enjoyed the post.

And to Wendy, I'm happy you enjoyed Wraith. But don't forget the online fiction that comes between the two books. And it's free at my website.

I hope everyone enjoys the blog!

Phaedra

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a tough question! It might be because I have been awake for a zillion years (2 sick kids) but I had a really hard time thinking about this. If I was going to write about walking between dimensions I suppose I would include portals of some sort, maybe like hidden veils of energy that require a special psi talent to negotiate. Once across you would be able to see ghosts and communicate. My version would probably have the idea that each dimension has time limits where if you stay too long you could get "lost". Another way would be more accidental, like when having intense feelings and ... suddenly you are more open to seeing the other dimensions. My husband likes the Dr. Who method of hopping in a phone booth.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have wraith]e

coming across puratory )spelling)

and finding many famous ppl



gypsywitch36y@yahoo.com

10:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I currently am writing such a story about a haunted lighthouse.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Daelith said...

Gosh there are so many possibilities. I've had an old RP character kicking around in my head for years now that was able to move through planes and dimensions. Never thought about throwing ghosts into the mix, but that could be an interesting turn for him. Especially since this character is kind of one of those not so nice type heroes. *L* Might be fun to have him tick off a female ghost and see what transpires when she follows him back to his own dimension.

Another story line off the top of my head...some baddie with this ability to transverse dimension misusing his/her ability to further their gain somehow or change the outcome of past/present/future events.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

There's an online fiction that comes between the two books?? I didn't know that!

I'm off to your website, thanks Phaedra! :)

9:54 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

After watching Supernatural last night, I would write about an angel that can walk the earth.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...these are some great ideas. And now I'm bummed about missing Supernatural last night. Yay for iTunes!

Wendy...readers knowing the fiction exists is one of my problems. I hope to get my newsletter running soon so I can get the word out better that there is free fiction available.

Phaedra

3:33 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Well, when you get it up and running, I will definitely join! :)

Oooh, Supernatural last night was good! Just wait until you watch it.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

The first two of the series are in my virtual shopping cart and about to be placed on order with my favorite mystery bookseller, Cynthia at HighCrimes.
As for the QOTB:
I would be the ghost and come over to this side of the 'fence'. Maybe take over a body for a little while.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

But I wouldn't say nyet if I won a free book.....

6:35 AM  
Blogger Daelith said...

WoooHoooo! Thank you!
Sent you an email.
What a great way to start my Saturday.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home