Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Guest Blogger: Kendra Leigh Castle

The winner of Kendra's book is: Ruth Schaller. Congrats, Ruth! You can contact Kendra here and give her your mailing info: kendraleighcastle@yahoo.com Thanks so much to everyone who participated!



Love with Fangs . . . and Fur

Maybe it’s just all the Twilight-mania going on right now, but there’s definitely vampire love in the air. What’s not to love, though? Well, I mean, apart from the “potentially homicidal” thing. Dark, sleek, powerful men with off the charts sensuality and a healthy amount of supernaturally-charged danger are always going to have a special place in women’s fantasies. And I’ve crushed on my fair share of immortal nightwalkers, for sure. When I set out to write my own heroes, though, the cool demeanor of a vamp just didn’t work for what I had in mind.

Sorry, Team Edward (and put down those rotten vegetables!). These days, I am all about the werewolves.

So what did being a moonstruck shapeshifter offer that being a vampire didn’t? Well, a few things. Take the hero of my recent release, Dark Highland Fire. Gabriel MacInnes is a shaggy-haired, brawny Highlander who would much rather play than work, and has structured his life so that’s what he gets to do. He co-owns a pub, Wolf at the Door, where he’s always got both company and an audience. He loves women (probably too much, but they love him right back), and he’s full of boyish charm, which is what gets him by when he’s misbehaving (which is frequently). Gabriel is a good guy, essentially . . . he just doesn’t know what he wants, and as the second son of his pack’s Alpha, he’s never been quite sure where he belongs.

Lucky Gabe, I worked it all out for him. But that’s not the point. The point is that Gabriel isn’t the sort of guy who would be comfortable stalking the night alone, exuding sexy angst and fixated on the curve of a woman’s neck. He’s hot-blooded, earthy. A little wild. And that’s exactly what I love about werewolves! There’s a lot that’s sexy about a guy so in tune with his basic animal nature, and I’ve turned out to be a sucker for a growl and big golden eyes. My werewolves have my own stamp, of course; that’s some of the fun of being a writer. The MacInnes Pack is a loyal, boisterous, family-oriented crowd who see the furry side of their existence as a blessing, not a curse. They’re capable of changing form at will (though it’s unavoidable at the full moon), and they often do, running just for the joy of it. And as a final selling point to the skeptical vampires-only people, werewolves, my werewolves, anyway, mate for life. They bond quickly, often unwittingly, and when it happens, it’s both permanent and soul-deep.

All of which applies when Gabriel suddenly finds himself responsible for a fiery demigoddess on the run. Oh, did I forget to mention that his pack guards a relic that serves as a portal to a realm populated by a whole bunch of powerful, occasionally hostile, magical tribes? Um, yeah. But that’s another post.

Anyway, that’s my case for werewolf love. I’ll always love vampires, of course. But writing the MacInnes Pack has given me a new appreciation for half-wild alpha males with a penchant for fur. So here’s my question to you: what’s your preference, vampire or werewolf? And why? I’ve got a signed copy of Dark Highland Fire for one commenter! Check back Friday evening for the winner.
Thanks so much, Lynda, for having me here today, and please pop in to say hello, everyone! I’ll be around to chat all day.

Kendra Leigh Castle is the author of Call of the Highland Moon and Dark Highland Fire. The next book in the MacInnes Werewolf series, Wild Highland Magic, will be released in May ’09. You can visit Kendra on the web at
www.kendraleighcastle.com.

14 Comments:

Blogger Caffey said...

I had found the newer book but not the first book, so I haven't read Kendra Leigh Castle's series yet. I'm always read the books in order! But once I saw and heard about these and read what I could with excerpts, they are ones that have so much I like to read, hot heroes and they're werewolves! Gosh Gabriel and Gabe both sounds so yummy! Whats your hero's name for the third book?

As I love vamps too, this post title of Love with Fangs and Fur was perfect!

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The book sounds good. I love vampires also.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Cheryl McInnis said...

Hi Lynda and Kendra!

I'm definitely on Team Jacob, lol. I think there is nothing sexier than a werewolf! And I will be sure to check out this series,I live in Nova Scotia ( New Scotland!)and my surname is McInnis...

7:32 AM  
Blogger Kendra Leigh Castle said...

Hi, Caffey! I always read series in order too, though from all the feedback I've gotten, you'd be safe to read Dark Highland Fire first and it would be okay. Which has been nice for me to hear!

The hero's name in Wild Highland Magic is Bastian. And he's actually not a werewolf...but his heroine is! Thanks for coming by!

Hi quiltingreader! Glad to have caught your interest! And the heroine of Dark Highland Fire is a blood-drinking demigoddess (though not, technically, a vampire), so there's a little something for everyone.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Kendra Leigh Castle said...

Hi Cheryl! Yeah, I was totally on Team Jacob. Couldn't help it:-) Ooh, I hear Nova Scotia is beautiful! Though probably kind of cold right now, huh? I'm from Northern New York originally, and I know it's been snowing up there. That's so cool about your name! I do hope you check out the books:-)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Terra57 said...

HI Kendra, (big waves)
You know how awesome I think your books are but for everyone else make sure and get them. You won't be sorry, you'll just lust for the next book in the series. Hurry up Kendra!
huggs,
Terra

8:15 AM  
Blogger CrystalGB said...

Hi Kendra. I loved Call of the Highland Moon. :)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Kendra Leigh Castle said...

Hi Terra!! Thanks so much for the compliment:-) I'm trying to hurry...the next one's out in May!

Hi CrystalGB! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book:-)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Ruth Schaller said...

Good afternoon!

I haven't read any of your books yet, but I would absolutely love to.

Now to answer your question: I am and always have been a huge fan of vampires - the dark, tall and fanged. They just seem so ... um... whats the word, yummy! LOL

But don't get me wrong, I love werewolves too! I'm sure in the middle of winter, I'd rather be snuggled up to a were than a vampire - ya know - the warmth factor!!!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Welcome to Paranormality, Kendra! It's so great to have you here. Thanks for guest blogging!
Lynda

11:02 AM  
Blogger Kendra Leigh Castle said...

Hi Ruth!

I agree, there's plenty to be said for the vampires. The whole neck-biting thing is way sexy, and sometimes you're just in the mood for a guy with fangs:-) LOL on the "werewolves are better in winter" thing...I never thought about it that way, but you have a great point! And curling up with a cool-skinned vamp in the summer would be excellent. Obviously, I just need a male creature of the night harem.

Hi Lynda! Thanks for the welcome...it's great here!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Pam P said...

I do have a thing for the seductive vamps, but then there's something to be said for those fierce wolves who mate for life.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Kendra Leigh Castle said...

Hi Pam! Yes, they both definitely have their appeal. Thanks for coming by!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Ruth Schaller said...

Thanks Lynda for the great contest! I'm always stopping by ot see what you have going on! Hey, ya know what - I've got to read one of your books! That is a must!

Happy Holidays!

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home