Monday, September 28, 2009

Guest Blogger: Allison Paige

The winner of Allison's book is: Mary. Congraulations, Mary! Give me your contact info and I'll pass it along to Allison. Thanks to everyone who participated.
A different kind of hero

Thanks so much, Lynda for inviting me to guest blog. I’m thrilled for the opportunity to talk about my latest Harlequin Spice Briefs, RAVEN.

I have to admit this story isn’t your typical romance because the hero isn’t your typical romantic hero. He’s a demon. To be more specific he’s a non-corporeal soul eating demon. And the heroine is his enslaved Raven shape shifter huntress, forced to find him one-hundred souls and one Raven shape shifter to replace her when the last soul is captured. Not your typical romantic couple and the odds against them finding love under those circumstances are pretty steep. So when they finally do come together it’s all the more passionate because they’ve had to overcome so much.

When I sat down to write RAVEN I knew Akram, the Leshii demon hero, wasn’t going to be easy to love. The woman who loved him would have to really know him, all his faults, all his needs, and love him anyway.

As strange as it might seem, Morrigan, Akram’s Raven huntress, is in the perfect position to be that woman. No one knows Akram the way she does and with her help he can be more, better, than he ever could without her.

Morrigan isn’t without her faults and needs either. Ravens are a lot like the old gypsies, nomads roaming the world as they pleased, never having a real home anywhere. Their gifts would provide them everything they needed and more, if they could resist their carefree, wasteful urges. With Akram Morrigan has a home, a place she belongs and wants for nothing except her freedom.

One thing that makes this odd, explosive, sexy couple even more inevitably romantic is the setting. Sorrento Italy is a slice of heaven here on earth. A beautifully romantic town on the Mediterranean coast across the bay of Naples from Mount Vesuvius. Anyone would be hard pressed not to fall in love there.

Old and new mix seamlessly in the scenic town, cell phone stores in buildings that stood when Julius Creaser ruled his empire and tour buses and scooters buzzing along the same volcanic stone roads chariots once rumbled over.

With cafés on every corner and some of the world’s best food, golden sunsets and warm sea breezes in RAVEN Sorrento is a character all its own. Sorrento is the perfect place for a couple who never realized what they needed most was what the other had always given them. In the end, Akram needs someone who can love him despite what he is and Morrigan needs someone who can ground her without tying her down. What they both need is trust.

RAVEN is my third Spice Briefs. I also wrote, DARK MOON GATHERING and MEDUSA’S FOLLY. But I have to admit RAVEN was my favorite to write. As seemingly insurmountable as the odds were for Akram and Morrigan to overcome the obstacles that are keeping them apart, their attraction and feelings for each other were the most undeniable. I loved bringing them together and allowing them both to find the kind of soul deep love they could only find with each other.

I’d love to hear from the blog readers some of your favorite stories where the hero wasn’t the most heroic character in the beginning and overcoming his faults made him all the more undeniable in the end.

Thanks again for having me Lynda!!!

http://www.allisonpaige.net/


***************

Allison's winner will be selected and posted here on Tuesday evening. Stop back by to see if you've won.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an avid reader and usually in the books I read the hero is one from the beginning of the book. I think the one I can recall of the hero having to prove himself was one written by Sandra Brown-the name escapes me now.
I have added your book to my TBR list so I can see how you deal with the hero. Sounds interesting.
JOY
JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com

11:08 AM  
Blogger susan said...

I like the sound of your book. I am just getting into other genes and so far I am impressed and and realized I missed alot in all these years. I hope to be entered in your contest also. susan L.

11:20 AM  
Blogger susan said...

I am all excited over the new series Harelquin has out and looking forward to ading to my TBL. susan L.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

I just read Obsidian Prey by Jayne castle and I liked the guy in the story aot more towards the end than I did in the bginning of the book. Alot of times the hero will look like a real butthead in the beginning and then by the end of the book we all love him because he was misunderstood.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi :)
Thank you for the great post Allison.
The cover is delicious.
Lymond in The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett. Just...Wow.
:)
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

1:47 PM  
Blogger Cybercliper said...

Kenyon's Dance With the Devil had a hero that was hard to love - Zarek. Granted the guy had good cause, but what a butt. By the end of the story though, he'd redeemed himself. Plus his heroine was no slouch...she could handle him!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Jaxxy said...

Sounds like a great story! I love demons as heroes.

Japhrimel from Lilith SaintCrow's Dante Valentine wasn't the most wholesome hero , what with his icy demeanor and slightly abusive and controlling tendencies. Theoretically, I should have despised him, but SaintCrow made it impossible not to love him.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Lynn Crain said...

Sounds like a very interesting story. It certainly has a different twist in it.

Thanks for the wonderful post about your Spice brief!

Lynn Crain

6:02 PM  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

Thanks! Could someone give me the email addy to send my info to Lynda, I couldn't find it on her profile page. lol I am probably missing it right in front of my face, but I don't see a contact button..Thanks.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home