Thursday, July 31, 2008

Guest Blogger: Adrian Phoenix

The winner of Adrian's A Rush of Wings is: Carmen R! Congrats Carmen. Send me your snail mail info and I'll pass it along to Adrian. Thanks to everyone for participating. Stay tuned . . .


Thanks so much for having me blog on your cool site on the paranormal, Lynda. I truly appreciate the opportunity!

My love for the paranormal, the glimmering moonlit world of the supernatural, is that of a child.

A child believes in possibility.

A child believes that the shadows beneath her bed conceal openings into other worlds, some monstrous (and thrilling), some magical. And both require only that she close her eyes and dangle a hand from her bed to await either the rough clasp of taloned fingers or the soft brush of feathers against her palm or . . . Ah, the possibilities are endless.

And whatever she feels when she allows her hand to slide from beneath the protective shield of her blankets, she’ll be tugged into a world different from the one she dwells in. Worlds of possibility, dark and radiant, a world in which she might be needed.

As a savior. As a changeling returned home. Or just as food.

As adults, our beliefs narrow. Possibilities vanish beneath the weight of reason and science -- the language of our minds and our intellects. But the language of the heart, the yearning soul, is that of possibility.

Whenever I hear “Doesn’t exist” or “There’s no such thing,” the words whispering through my mind and stoking the fire in my heart are: Says who? A child’s mantra. Stubborn and willful and brimming with magic.

Two of my favorite shows are Most Haunted and Supernatural. Both show us what lies nestled in thick shadows beneath the bed: whatever we fear or desire (and sometimes we fear most what we desire and vice versa), beings crafted from nightmare and vivid waking dreams.

Walking to your car on a late moonless night, all alone on the street, is that a beautiful pale face peeking from the shadows within the alley? A glint of lambent eyes? A hungry face?

As you climb up from the basement laundry room is the creak on the steps behind you simply an echo or something following you, something black and glowing with embers, thick horns curving up from either side of the skull?

As you stand at the sink washing dishes, will you see someone/something looking back at you when you glance out the night-filled window?

And is that the wind rustling through the leaves in your trees or is the rush of massive wings?

My debut novel, A Rush of Wings, (Pocket, January 2008) is a world of vampires, fallen angels, and mortals; a complex and ancient world FBI Special Agent Heather Wallace doesn’t know exists. Like most mortals, she believes in the world she sees, unaware that humans are not alone and never have been.

But that changes for Heather when tracks a serial killer, one she’s hunted for three years, a sadistic murderer known as the Cross Country Killer, to New Orleans, Club Hell, and a young man named Dante. The dangerously attractive musician not only resists her investigation, he claims to be “nightkind,” which Heather quickly learns means vampire.

Digging into Dante’s past for answers reveals little. A juvenile record. No social security number. No known birth date. In and out of foster homes for most of his life before being taken in by a man named Lucien De Noir, who appears to guard secrets of his own.

What Heather does know about Dante is that something links him to the killer -- and she’s pretty sure that link makes him the CCK’s next target. Heather must unravel the truth about this sensual, complicated, vulnerable young man -- who, she begins to believe, may indeed be a vampire -- in order to finally bring a killer to justice. But Dante’s past holds a shocking, dangerous secret, and once it is revealed not even Heather will be able to protect Dante from his destiny.

The second book in the series, In the Blood (Pocket) will be released January 2009. Drop by my website
www.adrianphoenix.com for updates and buy links and enter my monthly contest.

Tumble into that world of dark possibilities with Heather . . .


*************

To win a copy of Rush of Wings, just leave a comment answering this question: What paranormal/supernatural entity would you like to be if you had to choose?
Winner will be selected Friday evening.

18 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Schaller said...

I have always been fascinated with vampires. They would be my 'entity' of choice. Just to be able to see the centuries go by and how things change, would be amazing. The blood thing, ahhh, I could deal with that cause I'd have no choice!

And I'm the first to post, by golly, that's pretty cool!

Count me in for this contest. Always looking for new books to review on my blog!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Kimberly B. said...

Possibly a selkie. I went to college in Santa Cruz, right on the beach, and I am fascinated by seals and other pinnipeds. I love the ocean, and it would be amazing to explore it freely in seal form. Although a lot of the selkie myths end sadly (though it's usually for the human, not the seal).

7:55 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I would have to be shapeshifter who could change into multiple forms. I can't see that I would like just one form.

Thanks for the guest blog. I really liked the writing style of a "Rush of Wings" and am looking forward to reading its sequel.

Thanks!
Katie

8:08 AM  
Blogger CrystalGB said...

I would choose to be a shapeshifter.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Carmen R said...

I would pick being a vampire if i had a choice. It sounds better to me than a shapeshifter because the idea of having to get flea dipped once a month just doesn't sound fun.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Cathy M said...

I just read a new paranormal story that featured a lamia. She could change her shape at will, plus had teeth and claws to defend herself when needed. Pretty cool.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Cheryl McInnis said...

I think I'd like to be a demon; a good demon though, not an evil minion demon, lol. The supernatural strength and speed plus the coolness factor would be awesome!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

When I was a little girl, I made a deal with God to change me into a cat when I turned 9. (OK, it wasn't so much a deal as it was me begging.) I changed my mind with plenty of time to spare (whew!), but even now I'd still have to go with werecat.

Don't put me in the drawing for the book, because I already have it (and it's *phenomenal*--one of the best books I've read all year!). I just wanted to pop in and say that.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Night critter said...

I've always loved wolves, so a werewolf would be my choice.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

I'd like to thank Adrian for being here today! I've been at work all day and forgot to post before I left this morning. And thanks to everyone who is commenting! I look forward to picking a name to give away Adrian's wonderful book.
hugs, Lynda

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Adrian and Lynda!

Hope ya'll have a Great Weekend!
As to the question: I would be a Fairy with a Scottish (Highlander)Vampire for a Mate! Best of all of them together!

**HUGS**

Chris-dragonsflowers

7:55 PM  
Blogger Angie-la said...

I think I'd like to be a witch. Not the evil drop-a-house-on-me kind, but like Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan. A cool demon side-kick would be kinda neat, too!

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrian,
This blog is just everything I have always thought too but you put into words so well!!! Just because I`ve never seen anything paranormal with my own eyes, does that make it any less real? I don`t think so.
I would want to be a vampire, without a doubt, their power and ability to show a flash of fang and intimidate someone into backing off, I would love that control.
Louise :)
xxxxxxxxx

11:51 PM  
Blogger Lori T said...

Hi Adrian~

Please don't enter me in the contest...I already have a copy of Rush of Wings and it is absolutely fabulous!! Adrian is an amazing author and she is, also, an incredible person!!!

Great interview! I would probably be a vampire...they have always fascinated me.

12:54 AM  
Blogger AJ Hampton said...

*Waves* Hello Adrian and Lynda! Wonderful post here. What would I be... a large, graceful feline shifter. :)

I hope things are going well for the both of you!

(And, no prize needed - already bought the book and LOVED it!)

((Hugs))

AJ

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

werewolf or someting extremely strong!

tasha t
gypsywitch36
@ yahoo.com

11:49 AM  
Blogger Raonaid Luckwell said...

It would be very hard to decide between a witch, elf (mostly drow) or a shape shifter (dragon shifter).

Those three are what I'm mainly into

6:46 PM  
Blogger Carmen R said...

Thank you so much. I sent the email through your website.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home