Sunday, August 29, 2010

Excerpt Mondays: Kitty Goes to War by Carrie Vaughn

The winner of Carrie's book is: Pat. Congratulations, Pat. Send me your contact information and I'll send the book to you. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Excerpt: Kitty Goes to War

I sat at my desk, my monitor and microphone in front of me, maps and notebook paper spread over the whole surface. I was writing down addresses and marking points on the map as people called in.

"So you're saying it burned down and nobody could find out why?" I asked Pam from Lexington.

"That's right," she said. "My friend Stacy who's kind of a witch said it's because it was on a crossroads, and something demonic must have happened there, one of those deal-with-the-devil-type things, and the energy overflowed and incinerated it. Could she be right?"

"I don't know, Pam," I said. "That's why I'm discussing the topic, to find out if these events are all coincidence or if something spooky really is going on here. Thanks for the data point. Okay, faithful listeners, that gives me about a dozen independently verifiable stories about supernatural happenings at Speedy Mart convenience stores all over the country. This is already more than I thought we'd get, so keep them coming."

After the third person suggested that something weird was going on at Speedy Mart, I started paying attention. And wondering. And remembering a couple more stories I'd heard about intersections between the chain of stores and weirdness. Then I decided to devote an episode of my call-in radio show to the subject. It turned out that maybe something strange was going on here. That didn't explain why the Speedy Mart chain would have anything supernatural associated with it.

"My next caller is Al from San Jose. Hello, Al."

"Hi, Kitty. I'm such a big fan, thanks for taking my call."

"Well, thank you, Al. What's your story?"

"It's more of a question: is it true that Speedy Mart hires vampires to work the night shift?"

"Funny you should ask," I said. "I once got a call from a vampire who said he was working the night shift at a Speedy Mart. Now, I don't think this means that it's a matter of policy that Speedy Mart hires vampires. I think this guy just needed a job, and there's only so many places open in the middle of the night. But you can definitely see the advantages of hiring the ageless undead to work behind the counter. I imagine they don't get too freaked out about holdups."

"But there's probably not a whole lot of career advancement for vampires there," he said.

"Does anyone working the night shift at Speedy Mart have a lot of opportunities for career advancement? Although with vampires it would literally be a dead-end job." I chuckled. I really shouldn't laugh at my own jokes so much. "Right, we have Chuck from Nevada. Hi, Chuck."

"Hey, Kitty! How you doing?" He was brash, a real talker. This ought to be good.

"I'm doing just great," I said, the standard line. "Where in Nevada are you?"

"Area 51."

Deadpan, I said, "Really?"

"Okay, yeah, I'm from a little town about thirty miles up the freeway from Las Vegas. Near Area 51. And you want to talk about weird stuff going on with Speedy Mart, I've got a story for you."

"Lay it on me."

"UFOs."

I leaned back in my chair. "Okay, now you're just making crap up."

"No, seriously, we get sightings all the time. We're one of the stops on the Southwest UFO tour. The Speedy Mart parking lot is one of the best places to see them. UFO hunters park out there with their lawn chairs and binoculars looking for them. It's, like, UFO central!"

"If you say so, but like I always say, there's weird and then there's weird. But I suppose a data point's a data point. Thanks for calling." I didn't have to tell him I wasn't actually going to mark that location on my map. We'd call it an outlier. A real far-out outlier.
**********************
Carrie is on a book tour right now, so she won't be able to stop by and answer comments, but I'll be giving away a copy of her new Kitty book, Kitty Goes to War, to one commenter here. The winner will be selected and posted on Tuesday night. Stop back by to see if you won.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pamk said...

whoo thanks for the excerpt. I'm lookign forward to this one. kitty rocks.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Jill McCullough said...

Great excerpt. I'm a huge Carrie Vaughn fan! Some of the scenes I love most are when Kitty's taking calls. Thanks for posting this!

6:31 PM  
Anonymous RSVance said...

I just discovered Kitty about a week ago and I've made it up to Kitty's House Of Horrors. This is a really great series, lots of action, with just enough sex to not overpower the story like some of the other series. I'm really looking forward to Kitty Goes to War.

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the excerpt. I've been meaning to read this series. Hope I win!

Pat the Cat Lady

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Brenda said...

I found Ms. Vaughn's Kitty series this summer and I have been an instant fan! I actually stayed up until 4am because I couldn't put down Kitty Goes to Washington. LOL On a work night...

One of the best series around and I am definitely looking forward to the next installment.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home