Sunday, December 07, 2008

Guest Blogger: Caridad Pineiro

The winners of Caridad's prizes are: T-shirt, Zed-Aitch. Desire Calls, tetewa. Soldier's Secret Child, Terri W. Congratulations to everyone! Give me your contact information and I'll pass it along to Caridad. Thanks so much to everyone who participated!








I’ve been in love with paranormal things since I was a kid. On rainy Saturdays, my mom, sis and I would sit in front of the television, watching old horror movies. On the days I got my allowance and my sis and I would head to the candy store, I’d bypass the Archie comics and head straight for Superman and Batman. I also loved anything with action and adventure and would likewise indulge in movie fests to quench my thirst for such things.

Those two loves didn’t change very much as I grew older, but I found myself also developing an addiction to romance novels so it was only natural that at some point, all those interests would collide and soon I found myself writing paranormal romantic suspense in the form of THE CALLING vampire novels.

What’s so appealing about a mix of paranormal and suspense? For starters, the suspense aspects of the stories can be based on real life issues, such as a possible terrorist attack in DEATH CALLS, or revolve around more supernatural evil doings like in my upcoming March 2009 release, FURY CALLS. In FURY CALLS, both humans and vampires have to deal with the arrival of a truly evil bad guy who is a Kiang Shi – a Chinese vampire.

Which is the perfect segue into what’s so interesting about the paranormal aspects of such cross-genre books – the variety of vampires and demons with which you can populate your stories. I’ve been able to not only feature more traditional European-style vampires, but also the Kiang Shi and a chupacabra (a goat sucker). Future books will integrate different vampires as well as other supernatural beings.

One of the things that I enjoy is setting the stories in real world locales, such as Manhattan. I love showcasing one of my favorite cities by making it the backdrop for the otherworldly stories. It creates a sharp contrast between things that are real and the make-believe of the supernatural world. To really shake things up, I’ll be sending one of my vampires to South Beach in Miami for some naughty nightlife.

In November, I’m taking that concept a step further with my first single title romantic suspense release – SINS OF THE FLESH. I’d like to call it a paranormal because of some unique elements, but it’s really more of a medical/science fiction suspense although it’ll seem paranormal on its face. Why? Because the heroine has superhuman abilities as a result of a radical gene therapy and some evil doings by the biotech company who developed the therapy. The fun part of this story for me is that I was a science major in college and while some of the things may seem a little out there, they are all based on real life scientific principles and medical practices.

Thanks for having me here to talk about my favorite genre – paranormal romantic suspense! I hope you’ll drop by to visit me at
www.caridad.com or www.thecallingvampirenovels.com to learn more about me and my books. Also look for my December release, SOLDIER’S SECRET CHILD, a straight romantic suspense from Silhouette.
********************

Caridad is offering 3 prizes so there will be 3 winners selected on Tuesday evening. Here are the prizes: a CALLING T-shirt, copy of DESIRE CALLS as well as a copy of SOLDIER'S SECRET CHILD. Leave a comment here for Caridad to be in the contest!

13 Comments:

Blogger Zita said...

Very enjoyable books. Thanks for writing them!

Zita

6:12 AM  
Blogger Brooke Reviews said...

Great blog! These sound like great books :D

6:22 AM  
Blogger CrystalGB said...

Hi Caridad. Great post. I love your books.

7:08 AM  
Blogger Ruth Schaller said...

OOOOHHH! These books sound great! Can I have one please? LOL :D

I just love interviews - I learn so much about other authors!

8:10 AM  
Blogger tetewa said...

Nice to have you here today, looks like I've found another series to add to my TBR pile!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

Just finished the Soldier's Secret Child and really enjoyed it. You kept me guessing!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The books look and sound great.

11:13 AM  
Blogger donnas said...

Great interview. Your books look really good.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello. Wonderful blog. You are a new author to me and I found your post to be very interesting. Your books sound fabulous and I will be looking for them on my next trip to the book store. Thanks so much.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Caridad!

Love the awesome interview and I've heard great reviews for your books.

Terri W.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome interview and I see more books that will be added to my long list for Christmas(does anyone know if Santa takes faxes?)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Asylumgirl said...

It is nice to imagine a real world city as a magical place, if only in our minds. LOL

Deidre

12:06 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Hi Caridad,
I saw the lovely cover of "Fury Calls" on your blog. I'm looking forward to its release.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home