Friday, April 15, 2005

Another Request for the Full and Contests

I have to admit that it's gratifying that at least three professionals have found my first 3 chapters appealing. Who knows if the good opinions will carry beyond those chapters, but the momentary approval is nice. Natasha Panza, who is looking for non-ordinary chick lit for Tor, asked for my whole book. So, tomorrow (I've been waiting for this migraine I got yesterday morning to go away so I can concentrate) I'll read over the ms again, send it as a Word doc. to the second agent who requested it, and print it out for Tor. I'm allowing myself to be cautiously hopeful. I know. I said over and over again that I wasn't going to enter any more contests because the result is always the same. I think I'm listening now. I got another entry back in the mail today with my standard result: one judge gave me a perfect score, another judge took away only one point, and the third really hated it. Crucified me. Something about the beginning of my book causes readers to immediately love it or absolutely loathe it. Not much gray area. But it makes me wonder why a judge would even read an entry she obviously hates. I had one of those in a contest I judged and I sent it back to the coordinator, saying I didn't think I could be fair. I guess not everyone does that. I think I still have two contest entries still pending, and after that I'm really not entering any more. It's more fun to submit to agents and editors directly. I've been ruminating as I prepare the manuscripts to be sent out. I'm not sure what I'll do if they all reject it. I guess I'll just have to hope they give me good feedback so I can make changes. Cuz, at this point, that story is an accurate reflection of my writing style.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynda,

You have the right to be a bit "pissed off" about the third judge. I have entered some contest and had the same results, two people give high marks and THEN the third is a bit off with scores.
Look at the bright side, you have AGENTS reading your MS, and I'm keeping my fingers cross that you get a bit.

Donna M.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Thanks so much, Donna, for your supportive words. Contests can be frustrating, eh? Thanks for reading my blog!
Lynda

10:17 PM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Dear Devon: Thanks so much for the encouragement!! I hope one of the agents works out. Fingers and toes radically crossed!
Lynda

5:40 PM  

<< Home