Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Off to the RT Convention and a Great Surprise

This is my first-ever convention for fun. I've attended counseling-type conventions in the past, but they were filled with tedious lectures, skills workshops and dry conversations. Not one long-haired cover model in the bunch! Several of my favorite writers will be there: Laurell K. Hamilton, Kelly Armstrong, Lori Handeland, and too many more to mention. I was telling the students in one of my classes last night that I wish I'd had time to scrounge around for a costume for the vampire ball (how cool), and one of them suggested I go as Anne Rice. HA! I just might do that! I don't have the grey/white streaks in my hair (but since my perm grew out I'm just doing the long hair with bangs deal), and I'm chubbier, but it's a possibility! I looked through the list of authors who'll be there, signing books, and created a clear daydream of my name there at some point in the NEAR future. I also got an unexpected email today from one of my "dream editors." I'd sent her (after reading she was interested in books similar to Charlaine Harris's vamp books) 3 chaps/synopsis. I expected to languish in the slush pile for months, but -- 2 weeks later -- I got an email from her asking for the whole manuscript. That was an awesome surprise. Even now, the law of attraction is working in its usual perfection to bring me the agent and editor who are just right for me and my book. I can see the future book cover in my mind. Maybe I'll find an artist friend to sketch it out for me. I'll tell you all about the convention when I get home.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynda,

I'm SO jealous! I wish I was going to the RT Convention. Maybe next year. Tell Kelly Armstrong, hi. Have lots of fun.

Donna

8:46 PM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Dear Donna: I wish you could come, too! I'll definitely tell Kelly Armstrong hi for you! I promise I'll do my best to have a great time. Actually, despite appearances, I'm an introvert, and these big gatherings have been challenging in the past. I'll put on my extrovert mask and see what happens!
Lynda

9:31 PM  

<< Home