Sunday, November 08, 2009

Guest Blogger: Julie Kenner

Julie's winner is: Lori T! Congrats, Lori. Send me your contact info and I'll pass it along to Julie. Thanks to everyone who participated.
Magic, magic all around…..


I love being a writer, partly because I get to be so many different things. For example, in my books (on shelves and upcoming), I’ve been a cat, a spy, a demon hunter (different demon hunters, actually), a vampire, a succubus, a werewolf, a demon, a psychic, a fireman, a bookstore owner, a werecat, a ferret, a codebreaker, a spy, a film producer, a superhero, and even a mom.

One thing you might notice is that my books often have paranormal elements, which is great for me because the paranormal market has really taken off, and that’s the natural direction of my imagination. There was actually a time (in relatively recent memory) when paranormal books weren’t nearly as hot. But I was always confident that couldn’t last. Why? Because paranormal stories strike a chord in people.

Let's take a walk down memory lane, shall we, and I'll show you what I mean.

Think about all the stuff that’s been out there in pop culture for years:

Dark Shadows -- this one's a bit before my time, but even I can't miss the allure of Barnabus.
My Favorite Martian
Lost In Space
Star Trek (and the 8 bazillion sequels and spin offs it spawned and still spawns)
Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie -- anyone who's read my lighter stuff can probably tell that I was weaned on Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. In fact, I had it so bad that I used to go to flea markets with my mom and check out the old bottles, convinced that one of them would have a genie.
Batman
Battlestar Galactica
Star Wars
Close Encounters
It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th St.
Salem's Lot
Star Man
Highlander
Dracula
Frankenstein
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Invasion of the Body Snatchers,
Rosemary’s Baby
ET
X Files
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
And the list goes on and on.


Those stories cover the gamut. We've got pure fantasy, future worlds, magic, demons, vampires, immortals ... all inbred as part of our pop culture now.

So where were all these wonderful paranormal ideas coming from? Well, they come from the very beginnings of storytelling. Mythology, Homer, the Brothers Grimm.

The paranormal is nothing new.

In fact, have you every thought about how much classic children's fiction is fantasy or paranormal?

The Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings
Alice in Wonderland
A Wrinkle in Time
Half Magic
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Peter Pan
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Pretty much all the fairy tales

So what does that mean? Fantasy -- make-believe -- is a huge part of childhood. And it's spilled over into television and film and books. It's grown up with us, and its woven right in there as part of pop culture. No, not even pop cultures. Culture.

And, yes, maybe there was a period when the books weren’t a direct reflection of these paranormal worlds, but I have a thesis. I think that paranormal is inherent genre fiction, if not all of fiction. Heck, that it’s inherent in writing itself. Authors, after all, are creators. And if that’s not magic, I don’t know what is.

Thomas Carlyle said--All that mankind has done, thought, gained or been: it is lying as in magic preservation in the pages of books.

"Lying like magic" ... and authors put those thoughts and deeds into the books, and make a little magic of our own.

Visit Julie at her website, www.juliekenner.com, where you can learn more about her books, and even listen to her current release, TAINTED, in podcast format!

*********************

Julie will give away a copy of one of her books to a commenter. The winner will be selected and posted on Tuesday evening. Stop back by to see if you won.

20 Comments:

Blogger Pamk said...

Love Julie's books and am looking forward to the new series.

9:08 PM  
Blogger donnas said...

Julie's books are great. I am looking forward to reading Demon Ex Machina and her new series.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Julie Kenner said...

Thanks so much, Pamk and donnas!!!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi :)
Julie is an amazing writer!
Thank you for the great post Julie.
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo
PS - I Blogged about your post on my Blog

9:51 PM  
Blogger Julie Kenner said...

Cool, RK! Thanks!

12:59 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

So many books I want to read! That was a really good post....it doesn't really occur to a person how much "paranormal" is part of our culture until you start putting it in a list like that...It really is something that we carry with us since childhood
ksg_amg(at)yahoo.com

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Larry K. said...

You know, I never made those connections, and you named many of my favorite books/movies.

Keep up the good work!
Larry
lbloch66@hotmail.com

9:05 AM  
Blogger Julie Kenner said...

Thanks Kris and Larry!!!!!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Lori T said...

Hi Julie~

Your new series looks really good and I have added it to my need to buy list.

I, also, loved I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched.

I would love to be entered and congrats on your new release.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading the comments. I would like to win one of Julie's books.
JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com

9:50 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks, Julie!! I've been a fan of yours for years and am looking forward to your new series and the continuing saga of the Demon Hunting Soccer Mom. :-)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Julie Kenner said...

Aw! Thanks, y'all!

And I really think Jeannie needs to be on iTunes!

12:11 PM  
Blogger tetewa said...

I'm always loking for new authors and series to read, sounds good!

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I loved Dark Shadows as a kid. It seemed so scarey at the time. Sadly now it just seems like poor cinematography and over acting. Still, where would we be without those first fantasy shows? Great blog.

Boone Brux

12:46 PM  
Blogger Julie Kenner said...

Awesome tetewa!

Boone, so true! So much of what I used to love now looks so horribly, horribly dated!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Karen W. said...

Hi, Julie,

I love your books! I just bought TAINTED, and I can't wait to read DEMON EX MACHINA!

I got a kick out of that list of TV shows. I grew up on "Dark Shadows" and loved all the SF/F shows as a kid. Still do as a middle-aged adult! :)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

I'm really looking forward to the new series of books. :) Can't wait to get my hands on them.

I loved so many of those shows you mentioned. I've been a paranormal junkie for as long as I can remember.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Ina said...

Hi Julie!
you are a new author to me, but your books sound great! can't wait to get my hands on them *gg*
wish you all the best!
Ina

11:28 AM  
Blogger Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

This new series looks good!

I just plundered my old childhood bedroom and found so many wonderful fantasy novel treasures - you know what you are talking about!

Miranda

12:20 PM  
Blogger Julie Kenner said...

Thanks Mary and Karen!

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home