Monday, September 12, 2011

Vampire Monday: Lisa Kessler







Why Vampires Are (And Always Will Be) Popular


Hi everyone. Thank you to Lynda for inviting me today!

When my first novel released last month, I spent a day on the Fresh Fiction Blog discussing “Who wants to live forever?”

The feedback from readers was really interesting.

I think that vampire popularity flourishes because the thought of living forever intrigues us and terrifies us all at the same time. The chance to live without fear of death, opens up time. You could learn languages, you could travel, you could earn college degrees.

But could you stand to watch those around you age and die?

Vampires also add the torment of losing the sunshine and feeding off of the living.

Sure death couldn’t touch you, but would it be worth losing the sunshine and being forced to drink blood? You might also gain immortal strength and speed, but it would never be enough to save those you love form death.

By reading vampire fiction, we can further explore our fascination with immortal life. We can meet men and women who have watched civilizations rise and fall. Men and women who could end our life if they chose.

But what if instead of killing us, they decided to befriend us, or romance us?

I think the fantasy of a being loved by someone who has met iconic figures through history, who has learned everything universities can offer, who could kill anyone who ever threatened you is enticing. What would it be like?

And as the romance blossoms, would you be content to grow old while he or she retains their outward youth and beauty?

There are so many angles to romancing a vampire, that I don’t believe we’ll ever tire of them, and now the YA market through Twilight and other successful vampire series are intriguing a whole new generation of fang lovers.

What are your thoughts? Are you lured into vampire fiction? What makes you keep coming back for more?

Bio - Lisa Kessler writes dark paranormal fiction novels and short stories. Her vampire short story, Immortal Beloved, was a finalist for a Bram Stoker award. Lisa is an active member of her local RWA chapter as well as the Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal online chapter. When she’s not writing, Lisa sings in musical theater productions and operas. She lives in San Diego with her wonderful husband who reads every word she writes, and two amazing teens.

Night Walker link -
http://www.entangledpublishing.com/night-walker/


************************

Lisa will give away a copy of her book to a commenter. Stop back by to see if you won!

26 Comments:

Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

Vampires are mysterious and seductive and most times in romance they are hot! lol What's not to love and keep coming back for more?

miztik_rose@yahoo.com

10:29 AM  
Blogger Lucianne Rivers said...

Hi Lisa. My first full-length was a vampire book. But, boy, was it horrific. As is, bad. I'm so glad NightWalker is doing so well. L

10:41 AM  
Blogger Paranormal Pleasures said...

I love vampire fiction because even though they know everything, they are still mysterious, just recently too, Vampires have been so hot, that is always such a big draw, especially for me, the perfect body, yum yum, so gorgeous to look at, I mean when was the last time you saw an ugly fat vampire. When a vampire falls in love, they fall hard, I love that, I mean who would not want someone to look after them, protect them, just like only a vampire can, that's got to be worth all the blood issues, That's why I love vampire fiction, It's just the best x x

11:16 AM  
Blogger MichelleMB said...

We humans are such fragile creatures - while "living" as a vampire gives immortality along with strength and powers we can only hope for. And to live forever with love - who wouldn't want that?
mmbourassa(at)hotmail(dot)com

11:48 AM  
Blogger Paranormal Pleasures said...

I forgot to leave my email address
julienewberry(at)btinternet(dot)com

11:54 AM  
Blogger Roxanne Rhoads said...

My biggest problem, especially being a mom, would be watching everyone grow old and die around me. Could I do that? Watch my kids age while I stay the same forever? I don't think I could.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Mary -

I agree with you! :)

I'm a "sucker" for vampires... LOL

Lisa :)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Lucianne -

Oh no! LOL Sorry to hear about your vampire book...

Thanks for the good wishes for Night Walker and for stopping by to comment!!!

Lisa :)

12:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Julie -

I'm with you! I love that a vampire protects their fragile human... Plus they've usually lived long enough to have stowed away lots of cash so they can take care of you the way you deserve... LOL

And you know the only fat vampire I've ever seen was the poor accountant vampire on season 1 or 2 of True Blood... Remember him? :)

Thanks for commenting!

Lisa

12:02 PM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

Hi M -

Living forever with love does sound fabulous doesn't it? *dreamy sigh*

Thanks for commenting!

Lisa :)

12:10 PM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Roxanne -

I completely agree with you! :)

I could outlive my kids... It would have to be my whole family gets to live forever, or I'm staying mortal... :)

Thanks for commenting!

Lisa

12:11 PM  
Blogger Cori C said...

Very interesting post! I wouldn't want to live forever, but I would like to live longer. And fangs would be cool. :)

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vampire fiction is great, we can escape from our mundane lives into a bit of romance and the supernatural. It's thrilling and tantalizing. As you know Lisa, I own a copy of your book and to those that have not read it, you should, it's a great bit of fun and romance, just what people look for in vampire fiction. <3Lissa

2:51 PM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Thanks for being a guest blogger today, Lisa! Great post! Your book looks delicious.
Lynda

6:00 PM  
Blogger Rosalie Lario said...

I love vampire fiction. I suppose for me it's the lure of the forbidden, the danger. And yes, their hotness, LOL.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Cori -

Ha! I'd never considered that before, but I think you're right, fang would be very cool!!! :)

Thanks for commenting!

Lisa

9:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

HI Lissa -

I'm so glad you enjoyed Night Walker!!! :)

THanks for stopping by to comment today! It's always great to hear from you...

And I agree, I think vampires are a wonderful escape... LOL

Lisa :)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

HI Lynda -

Thanks so much for letting me have a spot on your blog! :)

And isn't the Night Walker cover yummy??? SHew!!! LOL

Thanks again!

Lisa :)

9:17 PM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Rosalie -

I love the danger in romancing a vampire too!!! *swoon*

Thanks for commenting!!!

Lisa :)

9:23 PM  
Blogger bg said...

Congratulations for your NightWalker. I agree that it does look yummy.. As for Vampires, I have been in love with them since i had my first dose of Dracula. He was frightening, yet charming. Then came all the newer vampires,all hot and chilling at the same time.
It is the curiosity for the unknown and mysterious, along with the fear of it, that makes vampires so attractive to us. this is a genre that will never go out of fashion..

1:23 AM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

I agree bg!!!

I don't think vampires will ever go away because the concept of someone dark and dangerous and passionate who can never die is too tantilizing to ignore... :)

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!

Lisa :)

1:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think I could handle watching all my friends & family die & it's just not practical to have everyone make everyone else they love a Vampire, talk about making your food source scarce.

I don't remember my first vampire book, but I do remember my first vampire movie "Love at First Bite" with George Hamilton. It was campy & silly, but George was adorable. I watched most of the more typical drama/horror vampire movies after that & always found myself cheering for the blood drinkers.

drainbamaged.gyzmo@gmail

9:31 AM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Kathryn -

Oh I loved "Love at First Bite"!!!

Fabulous movie!!! :)

And I agree, we couldn't make everyone a vampire or we'd starve... LOL

Thanks for commenting!

Lisa ;)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Lisa Kessler said...

And our winner of a digital copy of Night Walker is....

*drum roll*

jnewberry!!!

Congratulations!!! And thanks to everyone who stopped by and commented! :)

Lisa

11:06 PM  
Blogger Stacy P said...

My favorite type of books are Vampire romances, although I enjoy most all paranormal romances. I think it is the combination of the unknown and fantasy meeting that makes them so irresistible. Now if only I could write stories as good as the ones that I read!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Bets Davies said...

Personally, don't want to live forever. Sure as hell don't want someone protecting me. I do that. Still, I'm fascinated by vamps. To me, to some extent, vampires are looking at our own mortality. We court death.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home