Friday, March 17, 2006

Paranormal Writers Crit/Support Group?

I've belonged to an online crit group for a couple of years now. I love it. The other women (5 -- most already published) are keenly talented. Each writes in a distinct style, different from mine, and offers feedback that is invaluable to me. Hopefully, I provide the same for them. It is mostly due to the encouragement of these women that I've completed the manuscripts/stories I've written so far. I seem to write more/faster when the group is cheering me on and I have our twice-monthly deadlines. I guess many of us are like that.

The women in the group are very busy. So busy, in fact, that some of them don't have time to submit/crit much these days. That will probably change in the future. But, I'm thinking of putting together an additional group. Here's what I have in mind:

I'd like a group of paranormal writers -- small, maybe 4 of us -- who enjoy being actively engaged in co-creating the success of each writer in the group. Not a place to whine, necessarily (although sometimes a brief pity party about the larger forces of the publishing universe is good for the soul), but a warm, supportive place. A community. As Dr. Phil says, "a soft place to fall."

Following the model of my current online group, maybe we could submit a chapter on the 1st and the 15th of each month. I'd create a yahoo group, and we could upload the chapters and critiques into the files section. That seems to work great. I'd appreciate other writers (either already published or close to it) who are available to participate regularly and who enjoy creating community.

If you read through the last post on my blog, you'll get an idea of what I write. It seems most of what I write crosses genres. I can't help myself.

Anyway, if you think you'd be interested in such a crit/support group, please email me at: LyndaWriting@aol.com

Happy Spring.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori Devoti said...

I'm interested. :) My agent is shopping a paranormal mom lit right now. And I'm waiting for her comments on a synopsis for a dark paranormal romance. And I'm working on another paranormal that I'm not quite sure what it is going to be--mom lit or more just fantasy along the lines of Kelley Armstrong, but with an older protagonist. It will develop into one of those.
I am published, but in straight romantic comedy. Anyway, let me know.
Lori
http://www.loridevoti.com/blog
lori @ loridevoti.com (no spaces)

6:06 AM  
Blogger Eastern Paranormal said...

I would be interested as well. You can email me at either gabreaelinfo@aol.com or gabreael@easternparanormal.com .

Just stopping in to say hello!

Gabreael

www.easternparanormal.com

http://easternparanormal.blogspot.com/

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home