Sunday, November 12, 2006

So many great paranormal books, so little time . . .



Boulder's library used to have this "hold" policy where everything was sent via mail, for a $1 mailing fee. I tend to scour the catalog weekly and put as many things on hold as I can. Waiting for them to arrive by mail was really a pain in the butt. Thankfully, they've recently given us book fiends the option of picking up the little treasures in person at the main library. So, I've been devouring even more books than usual. I wouldn't have discovered even half the cool vampire books I've found if the library didn't buy a lot of them. There must be a vampire fan in the library's book-ordering department. Anyway, I've been in undead heaven.

I found a whole series I'd never heard of: the Dracula books by Fred Saberhagen. Never heard of him, either. I read his reprint of "An old friend of the family" in one day. Nice vampire mythology. Vlad Tepes is the main character. Not the monster version. The European gentleman version. Can't wait to read the other books in the series. I also read (in 1.5 days) the first book in a Texas Vampires trilogy by Diane Whiteside. Very nice. Silkily erotic, with lots of additional metaphysics and ancient history woven in. Very beta-ish alpha hero. Yum.

I've also noticed that a lot of the popular ("light") vampire books (the ones with long waiting lists previously) at the library are suddenly on the shelves. No more waiting list. Lots of copies to take out. I actually think that's a good thing. Maybe we're all getting tired of the silly stuff (not to be confused with the FUNNY or CLEVER or WITTY stuff, please). And, maybe as the fad calms, there will be a market for my novel. Wish me luck!

Check out my list of Recommended Paranormal Books/Authors. The link is on the left side.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tempest Knight said...

Oh yes... So many good vampire books so little time. I finished reading "Underworld: Blood Enemy." Did you read it? Check out my blog where I'm talking about it. *wg*

8:47 AM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Thanks, Tempest. I'll check it out. I keep telling myself that I need to just make an ongoing list of every single vampire book that shows up, but I haven't gotten that motivated yet!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynda

If you can find it get a copy of the first book in Saberhagen's Dracula series. It's called The Vampire Tape. Here Dracula tells his side of the story and explains how Bram Stoker got it all wrong.

Patricia

10:56 AM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Patricia: I finally found all the books in Saberhagen's Dracula series. My library had a few and I picked up the others at my local second-hand book store. I really enjoyed this series because it had a different feel. I hope he's not completely finished writing it! He's got to tell us what happened when Mina arose.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home