Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What's Your Most Funny, Crazy or Upsetting Publishing Story?

I've been thinking about offering some more author interviews here on the blog, because I like adding entertaining and educational content, and because I've been letting the stress of publishing do a number on my brain and behaviors. I could use some inspiration, uplifting and laughter!

Not only stress about my usual topics (waxing and waning money due to self-employment, worrying about the welfare of my sweet son, dealing with the repercussions of migraines, Menopause From Hell, etc.), but because of the pressure I'm putting on myself about the publishing process.

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love all the challenges and triumphs of being an author. I'm grateful to the publishing companies that have bought my various projects.

But, having said that, I also drive myself nuts listening to my author friends who are pubbed with big houses and who have (I imagine) lots of support in their endeavors -- both professional support and personal support -- talk about their experiences. Mine is different, as is everyone's, but sometimes I feel sorry for myself. Then I read about all the promo I should be doing, and my money issues raise their ugly heads.

Today, after a multi-day meltdown due to the convergence of many pressure streams, I understand I've been doing it again. What's it? Giving my power away. Forgetting that I write because I love to write. I write because I'm good at it. My career isn't dependent upon anything or anyone but me. Nobody holds my future in their individual or collective hands but me.

So, I'd love to put your experience here on the blog. If you have a funny story, a crazy story (in publishing? really?) or an upsetting story with a silver lining, please share!

Instead of just leaving a comment (which you're most welcome to do, also!), go ahead and answer that/those question(s) in an email sent to my personal email address. That way I can give you your own post and put a link so it will stay on the blog forever.

My email address: boulderboomer@aol.com

Thanks for sharing (in advance)!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Wait...you get support if you get published with a big house? You lie like a rug! ;)

Honey, I empathize and I offer you one of my Imitrex tablets. And I spelled it correctly because I carry them with me everywhere I go...

Chin up, my dear. I support you!
Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

3:27 PM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Thanks, Sandy! I look forward to posting your story!
Lynda

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home