Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Day The Earth Stood Still

Whoa. I knew they were remaking my favorite space alien movie: the 1951, black and white, The Day the Earth Stood Still. I didn't give it much thought. I don't think perfection can be improved upon. Michael Rennie, who played the alien in the first version, was magnificent. Understated, suave, with wonderful, subtle facial expressions. I just saw the trailer for the new movie and it's really nothing like the original. I hope they don't screw things up too badly. The original was just so freakin' great it's almost CRIMINAL to try to reproduce it.

Klaatu, barata, nikto (or however you spell it)

I'll be so pissed if they turn a classic film into what passes for movies today. Keanu Reeves can be good in very specific roles. And he's cute. But that might not be enough. What was great about the original actor was he actually had acting depth, so he didn't need to do a lot in order for us to get the drift that still waters run deep.
Of course, I'll go see the new movie. But I might have to heave my popcorn box at the screen. We'll see.
Maybe Klaatu will show up again soon and throw some cold water on all the political nonsense going on this year.


Here's a clip of the original (but you really need to rent it and watch the whole thing. The main female character turns out to have a very important role.), followed by the new version. (The old clip has a few seconds of blank screen at the beginning. I don't know why.)






4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the orginal movie. I owned it in VHS and recently bought the DVD. It's amazing how relevant that movie still is after 50+ years.

Yes, I'll probably watch the new version, but I also have very mixed feelings. I love Keanu Reeves, but he's no Michael Rennie.

Alexis Morgan

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the one one and I hope I love the new one. Of course I like Keanu Reeves too so that will help.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I was horrified when I saw they were remaking "The Day The Earth Stood Still," especially with Keanu Reeves. Why would you take such a wonderful movie and remake it? It is worrying.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Lise said...

As has already been posited, I have my suspicions that the new version will be all big effects and scarey stuff - the blurb sure sounded that way on the bus I saw! I had no idea they were remaking it, and the original I think had underlying messages pertinent to the cold war and political issues (like the Red Scare). I agree Michael Rennie was terrific, and the ending was so cool .... won't be a spoiler, but I bet the remake has nothing to do with the original. Shame, too. I'll be waiting for reviews before spending the $$$. And does anyone remember Tron? With the quick throwaway shot of a computer guy's cubicle and the sign on the cubicle wall that says "Klato Barada Nicto" (or however it was spelled!).

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home