Sunday, December 14, 2008

Lame! Comments on The Day The Earth Stood Still

Okay. I already knew the movie wasn't really a remake of the original The Day The Earth Stood Still. As I've mentioned before, that 1950s movie was my all-time favorite from that era. Loved Michael Rennie. Loved the idea that humans were finally reaping our not-so-instant karma from our war-mongering ways. (Why are we humans so fascinated by war and fighting and weapons and other horrible things? What's the matter with us? Aren't we ever going to evolve into a higher consciousness? Even watching the adolescent-male-focused previews of coming attractions with all the us vs them made me sick and depressed.) But, even though I made allowances for everything this movie couldn't possibly be, I expected more than . . . nothing. How incredibly lame. No plot. Terrible acting. A crappy ending that made me say "Huh?" out loud in the theater. I went to the $5 show and considered it a waste of $5. I'll hold onto my black and white original and will cheer as intellect overcomes brute force.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mya said...

The greatest thing I liked about the movie was GORT. Other than that...yeah it sucked.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Judith Leger said...

Oh, I hate movies like that. No fun at all. Thanks for the warning, I won't waste my time.

8:48 AM  
Blogger SciFiGuy said...

Remakes of classics just never make the cut.

BTW Lynda you've been nominated.
http://www.scifiguy.ca/2008/12/award-nomination-kreativ-blogger.html

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing I remember from the movie is Keanu in that suit. And omg that's all I really need to remember. Yum.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Susan Macatee said...

That is so disappointing, Lynda, but like you, I really didn't think this one would be anything like the original. That was a classic that will live on forever! Thanks for the warning. I won't waste my money or time.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Mya: Yeah. gort was kinda cool, but it couldn't offset the suckiness for me.

Judith: Well, others seem to like it (I read a bunch of reviews). I just couldn't see any reason for it to have been made.

SciFiGuy: I'm with you!

Emma: I think Keanu is a cute guy. I've found him attractive in other movies. But this time he left me cold.

Susan: Maybe rent it when it leaves the theaters in ten minutes.

Wow. I really have a bad attitude about this movie, don't I. See what happens when they mess with greatness?

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home