Sunday, May 29, 2005

Paranormal Chick/Hen Lit Books

I started thinking about what paranormal chick/hen lit books I'd recommend to someone and I realized that I didn't have a simple answer. I don't consider time travels and futuristics to be paranormal unless they add actual paranormal aspects. I'm going to ramble to myself for a bit and try to sort it out. I'm working with the definition that paranormal romance has one heroine/one hero and a HEA. The heroine might do lots of different things and paranormal elements are important, but the focus is on the relationship/romance. In paranormal chick/hen lit, the focus is on the unfolding journey of the heroine. The paranormal aspects are the backdrop, and she might have romances, sex, career issues, body image issues, etc., but it's all about her body/mind/spirit evolution. Often, heroines in chick/hen lit don't end up with the guy. Or maybe she ends up with two guys (like my book!). But she's transformed in some way. So, with that expanded definition, many of my favorite books fall into the category of paranormal chick lit:

Paranormal Chick/Hen Lit

Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter books. These are usually categorized as mystery, horror or fantasy, but they also feature the journey of the heroine as she learns, grows and experiences during the 12 or so books in the series. She has romances, career issues, sometimes talks about her lack of fashion sense, personal growth issues. Standard chick lit fare. She even has the in-your-face, sassy dialog.

Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire books, featuring the ever-experiencing, ever-learning Sookie, a southern mind reader with an appealing nature. She's been with a couple of undead so far, with a werewolf in the wings.

Mary Janice Davidson's Undead books are the lighter side of paranormal chick lit. The ones I read were vampire, but she has others.

Shanna Swendson calls her sweet "Enchanted, Inc." a magical chick lit.

Kim Harrison's urban fantasy books, "Dead Witch Walking," "The Good, the Bad, and the Undead," and "Every Which Way But Dead," feature street-wise, sassy witch Rachel Morgan and her exploits.

CE Murphy's Urban Shaman. I haven't read this yet, but stay tuned, it sounds like another "journey of the heroine" story.


Time Travel Chick Lit:

Marianne Mancusi's "A Connecticut Fashionista in King Arthur's Court."

Ok, help me out here. There must be lots more, I know I'm forgetting some obvious ones. I'll add them as you clue me in.
People usually mention Katie MacAlister's vampire books, but they're paranormal romance with a chick lit vibe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gena Showalter said...

Maybe the new book by C.E. Murphy titled Urban Shaman. Or the YA by Sarah Mlynowski titled Bras and Broomsticks.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Thank you, Gena! I still have all your books on my To Be Purchased list. I keep looking for them at my local second-hand bookstore, and no one has been willing to part with any of them yet. But, I'll break down and buy them new as soon as I can. I wasn't sure if your books were paranormal romance or paranormal chick lit, but I'll find out soon! I'm so happy for you about all the good things that are happening in your writing career!

10:36 AM  

<< Home