Saturday, June 25, 2005

London, England!

OK. I know I shouldn't be making such a big deal out of a trip across the pond. I'm a contemporary woman. Savvy. Appropriately jaded and cynical. Ah, London. Yawn. Well, forget that. I've been fantasizing about going to England for forever, dreaming of castles, perfecting my various English accents and acting out the Elisa Doolittle part in "My Fair Lady." (Which I got to sing in high school.) A guy with an English accent just does it for me. Maybe a past life memory, maybe ancestral/cellular recollections, maybe a simultaneous existence -- who knows? So, I'll be there as part of a very brief tour the first week of October. I'll have unstructured time to wander about, and I would appreciate hearing about anything you think I should go and see. What would a paranormal fiction writer like myself find appealing in London? I'll be staying at a hotel in the Victoria Station area. Are there any London paranormal writers who might like to get together for a meal? An ale? All suggestions/ideas appreciated!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Lynda!

I've never been to London, but I have recently come across three books regarding "haunted" Britain that might appeal to you.
1st: Haunted Inns of Britain and Ireland by Richard Jones
2nd: Haunted Britain and Ireland (again, by Richard Jones)
3rd: Haunted Castels of Britain and Ireland (by, guess who??--Richard Jones)
You might find the books helpful--maybe they can lead you to a few interesting haunted spots.

Have a great trip!

9:25 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Hey, Lynda! I didn't know you were up and blogging, duh! I guess we didn't talk about this while rooming at RT -- hope you had a good rest of the week writing, and I meant to email you, but time has slipped by. Congrats on your contest wins!

There's a wonderful tour group called London Walks (I think they're on the web) that has Jack the Ripper Walks, Ghost Walks, etc. I've been on both of those. They are very reasonable -- oh, and MAKE SURE you take a coin purse. Pounds are coins now and they're a little heavy.

Love,
Robin

9:08 AM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Dear Cynthia: Thanks so much for the book recommendations. I'll definitely check them out!!

Robin: London Walks. What a great suggestion. I'll definitely search the web for them before I go! The tour company I'm going to England with requires participants to wear money belts (provided as part of the deal), and there's a place in the belt for coins! I never would've thought of that! Thanks!

Lynda

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For bookstores, although you would not expect it, MURDER ONE carries paranormal.
Ask for Gail, I think.

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry
www.rowenacherry.com

4:59 AM  

<< Home