Sunday, November 25, 2007

Blubbering Like a Baby


I went to see the feel-good movie, "August Rush" this afternoon and sat there sobbing through the last quarter. Yes, it's predictable. Okay, and cliched. But it was wonderful. I cried because it reminded me of what it was like when I felt that way about music. I was a weird kid (already covered that in other posts), but another strange thing about me was my music ability. My parents were poor, so not a lot of attention was given to my potential skills. I played several instruments in elementary school, was given piano lessons free by the son of a preacher at a neighborhood church and sang since I started breathing. For years, there was nothing but music for me: studying it, listening to it, playing it, singing it, dreaming about it. As I got older (and made stupid choices), I switched from studying/singing classical music to rock and roll (not one of the bad choices). I also acquired every bad habit a stupid teenager can acquire (definitely several bad choices). Anyway, I managed to turn myself from an almost-prodigy child to a slacker teenager, who only used my singing skills to get attention (I think I already covered my father issues an in earlier post, too). Long story shorter, bad habits and stupid decisions tarnished my beautiful music. So, that's why I cried. Watching that sweet little boy bliss out from the sound/vibration/frequency of music is so familiar to me. I sincerely miss it.

And, by the way, the vampire from "Moonlight" was in the movie in a small role. He was actually pretty good and still pleasant eye candy. He spoke with his Aussie accent. Very cool.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tez Miller said...

He was actually allowed to speak in his native accent? Good for him! I thought that was a privilege reserved for Jesse Spencer, and only then with House.

By the way, are Yasmine Galenorn and Lynda Hilburn the same person, may I ask?

Have a lovely day! :-)

5:09 AM  
Blogger Lynda Hilburn said...

Hi, Tez. I just love those accents. Maybe that's another reason I like "Torchwood."

Now you really have me curious. What would make you ask if the delightful Yasmine Galenorn and I are the same person? While I do have lots of subpersonalities, none of them are named Yasmine! grin! Yasmine has a couple of interviews on my blog, though.
Lynda

7:03 AM  
Blogger Tez Miller said...

Ooh, me confused. I used Google Reader to subscribe to Yasmine Galenorn's blog yasmine-galenorn.blogspot.com but instead somehow I've subscribed to your blog. I'm rather baffled now.

Have a lovely day! :-)

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home